Ellinger, TX History
Joseph Ehlinger, born in Alsace, France, served in Napoleon's army before its defeat. He was present at The Battle of San Jacinto in 1836 and received a grant of land for his service there. After building a house in Fayette County and he returned to Europe to bring his family to their new home. Unfortunately, while crossing Buffalo Bayou near Houston, he drowned. Ehlinger’s family entered the house he had built for them without Joseph being there to see it. Joseph's son, Charles Ehlinger, became a surveyor and laid out the plat of the original town, known then as Live Oak Hill, just north of present day Ellinger.
Charles was the town's first postmaster, he also become a merchant, farmer, and a Board Member on the First State Bank of Ellinger. The Southern Pacific Railroad came through the area in 1873 and missed Live Oak Hill by two miles. In 1880, land was donated for its present location. The name changed from Ehlinger to Ellinger when the railroad came through.
Through many economic cycles the area produced cotton, tomatoes and other agricultural items. In the last few decades, the economy has shifted to ranching and grain. Today, Ellinger’s most recent incorporation marks the beginning of a new chapter in its wonderful history.